Friday, January 25, 2013

Five Favourite: Vintage War Images

This is probably a very obvious statement to make but I love vintage war images. Even the worse of the worse images because they evoke emotion in me. In a time when we are bombarded with imagery and advertising without even realising it or recognising the propaganda being forced down our throats as soon as we wake up until we go to bed (see Banksy's rant about that here, it's pretty good), vintage war images still have the power to make me stop and consider.

Often all I can say is F#@k, imagining going through that, or living that, or even just seeing that in real life. The horror of war is evident. Despite this there are those war images that show how resilient people can be, the hope that never fades and that goodness can be found in the most arduous of conditions. And sometimes evil has to be done in order to do good (see The Fog of War [thanks 'Jon']).

Here are some of my current favourites:

I think I may have seem some stoners from my youth doing a very similar thing to be honest...

You can never have too much ammo, that's what I always tell the army.

This is for those minions who complain about work conditions.

And one for the ladies....

For some reason, these two guys made me think about the Recon Unit and all their skulking, maybe a future drawing?!

No comments:

Post a Comment