Thursday, May 26, 2011

Barnaby Ward aka Somefield

Baranby Ward is a bit elusive, he has a website but it doesn't tell us much except he lives in Barbados and seems to be really laidback.  I did manage to find this excerpt from an interview with a link that doesn't exist anymore:


With the girls and ani­mals pieces, I’m not try­ing to tell a spe­cific story so much as cre­ate a sense of empa­thy. I wanted to cre­ate an obvi­ous emo­tional con­nec­tion between the girl and the ani­mal, which I’m hop­ing shows that there’s a rela­tion­ship there, and a sense of his­tory. There’s not much more to it than that. But I think the com­bi­na­tion of these ele­ments allows the viewer to project their own ideas onto the piece. There’s enough 
sug­ges­tion that I’m hop­ing it stim­u­lates people’s imaginations.


I find his stuff interesting as well because he draws mainly straight onto his computer, apparently he finds it more stress free, completely opposite to me, yet they have a great scratchy, hand drawn feel.  He's awesome!





No comments:

Post a Comment