Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Drainspotting...

Recently in a bookshop where I love to waste time flicking through and getting ideas, it's just like a library to me (especially when they provide comfy chairs), I came across this book:


My whole time in Japan I never really looked down, you kind of get distracted by the dazzling lightshows happening above you and yet, here was a book by Remo Camerota (who wrote the book Grafitti Japan)dedicated to the manhole covers of Japan.  He even has a blog updating new covers.  I am constantly amazed at the Japanese aesthetic sensibility, each cover is made by the local municipality to reflect their local environment and some of them are just stunning (and amusing):

Rwoar!!!! I love Dinosaurs.  The little logo also looks a bit like Astro Boy too....

Mmmmm...Pretty lady....


How can you not add this one?  Look it's a panda and a koala! Who would've thought?! They both looked a little shocked though if you ask me, maybe they can see a car coming....


Aren't they just great?!  There is no excuse to not be able to make everything beautiful, I mean most of these are linked to sewerage pipelines.  Looks like I'm just going to have to go back to Japan to suss this all out...what a shame....

No comments:

Post a Comment